A great method to extend fertility naturally also as your overall well-being is to eat an entire foods diet.
Does Meftal spas cause infertility
Mefenamic acid and Infertility
Call 9941551661 for more information.
Meftal spas is a medication that is commonly used for the relief of menstrual pain. Mostly, these medications are used for pain management after operative procedures and to relieve severe dysmenorrhoea. In addition to the pain-relieving property, it also can reduce heavy bleeding during menstruation called menorrhagia by decreasing menstrual blood loss. Mefenamic acid reduces pain associated with medical abortion, in-vitro fertilization by preventing follicular rupture and reducing premature ovulation. It is also used to prevent preterm labor due to its uterine relaxant property.
The use of Meftal spas like drugs can induce reversible infertility in humans due to the blockage of the enzyme cyclooxygenase (COX). COX inhibition prevents normal reproductive processes. However, normal ovulation returned after stopping the medicine. But this effect is seen in people using it frequently.
What is Mefenamic acid (Meftal spas)?
Mefenamic acid is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug for mild to moderate inflammation and pain. However it is widely used to treat menstrual pain. It is an effective nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agent used to treat fever and pain.
It is a chemical with extremely low solubility in water with a half life of 2hr. It is available as tablets, capsules and suspensions and more recently as gel preparation for skin application.
What are the uses of Mefenamic acid?
Mefenamic acid or meftal spas is widely used for pain due to
- Dental pain
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Other joint disorders
How does Mefenamic acid work?
Meftal spas or Mefenamic acid works by inhibiting prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are a group of chemical messengers found in a variety of areas of the body such as the stomach, kidneys, and sites of inflammation. In the stomach, prostaglandins increase secretion of a protective natural mucus lining. In addition, they modify function of certain cells that are responsible for inflammation.
- Meftal spas covers prostaglandin synthetase receptors COX-1 and COX-2, inhibiting the action of the enzyme prostaglandin synthetase.
- Cox-1: Cyclooxygenase-1, an enzyme that acts to speed up the production of certain prostaglandins. It usually found in the stomach.
- Cox-2: Cyclooxygenase-2, an enzyme that acts to speed up the production of prostaglandins that play a key role in promoting inflammation. When cox-2 activity is blocked, inflammation is reduced. Cox-2 is active only at the site of inflammation.
How is this drug eliminated from body?
Approximately 50% of a mefenamic acid dose is taken away from body through urine.
It can also get excreted through feces which accounts for 20%.
Can patients with heart disease take meftal spas?
Usually patients with cardiac ailments should refrain from using meftal spas as a pain killer. It increases the risk or severity of gastrointestinal bleeding in patients on a anticlotting drug warfarin.
Can I take meftal with antihypertensive?
The risk or severity of hypertension can be increased if meftal spas is taken with certain group of medicines given to lower blood pressure. It is advisable to avoid using this drug and consult your doctor before using any pain killers.
What are the side effects of meftal spas?
- Cardiovascular – thrombotic and bleeding episodes
- GI Bleeding, Ulceration- Consuming this drug can lead to side effects such as gastrointestinal disorders, like gastrointestinal bleeding and gastric upset.
- Hepatotoxicity – It is potentially dangerous, can cause liver injury.
- Hypertension – Patients with high blood presssure should void taking as it causes serious drug interactions.
- Renal toxicity and Hyperkalemia – I t can be dangerous for the kidney as well.
- Serious skin reaction – Some people may exibit allergic reactions.
- Hematologic toxicity – Bleeding disorders are common with this.
Where to avoid taking meftal spas?
If you are on any of the following medications you must avoid taking mefenamic acid:
- Other NSAIDs
What are the ways to use Meftal spas?
Tablets – Most common form is as tablets of 500mg. Controlled release tablets containing mefenamic acid are also available which act for a longer period.Oral tablet is easy to take but other forms are also available.
Gels – This is a greaseless topical form which is easily spreadable & easily removable. It is an emollient, non-staining acting for longer period with out much side effects. The gel form is transparent and pleasing in appearance.
It is also available in creams, lotions, and powders but are used less often.