What is Cardio?
Cardio is a type of aerobic exercise. This is physical exercise of low to high intensity that involves or requires utilisation of free oxygen to meet energy demands during exercise through aerobic metabolism.
What are the different types of exercises?
Isotonic Exercise – increase your breathing and heart rate. They keep your heart, lungs, and circulatory system healthy and improve your overall fitness. Examples : brisk walking, jogging, swimming, and biking.
Isometric exercises make your muscles stronger. Some examples are lifting weights and using a resistance band.
Balance exercises – help prevent falls. To improve your balance, try tai chi or exercises like standing on one leg.
Flexibility exercises stretch your muscles and can help your body stay limber. Yoga and doing various stretches can make you more flexible.
What are the aerobic exercises?
Examples of aerobic exercises are
Indoor :Stair climbing , Elliptical trainer , Stationary bicycle,Treadmill , Aerobic gymnastics
Outdoor: Walking , Cycling, Running
Does Cardio help to reduce weight?
Health guidelines recommends:
Continuous moderate exercise should be performed for at least 30 minutes five times a week. This will reduce obesity by 19% versus no activity at all.
What are the health benefits of doing cardio or aerobic exercise ?
Benefits of regular aerobic exercise are:
- Strengthening the muscles involved in respiration, to facilitate the flow of air in and out of the lungs
- Strengthening and enlarging the heart muscle, to improve its pumping efficiency and reduce the resting heart rate, known as aerobic conditioning
- Improving circulation efficiency and reducing blood pressure
- Increasing the total number of red blood cells in the body, facilitating transport of oxygen
- Improved mental health, including reducing stress and lowering the incidence of depression, as well as increased cognitive capacity.
- Reducing the risk for diabetes. One meta-analysis has shown, from multiple conducted studies, that aerobic exercise does help lower Hb A1Clevels for type 2 diabetics.
- It prevents Depression and keeps a good mood.
What are the limitations of cardio ?
Limitations of aerobics or cardio include:
- Overuse injuries.
- Doesn’t help for building muscle.
- Only effective for fat loss when used consistently.